Emergency Recall Pulled Through!

9 years 2 months ago #106107 by Mikki Hogan
Emergency Recall Pulled Through! was created by Mikki Hogan
Hello everyone. I am Mikki Hogan and am working with my friend's dog Navali. I am super excited today as I received a call from my friend regarding the emergency recall.

Today she arrived home from the store and all the children were unloading groceries with Navali doing her normal fun in the yard activity when an unannounced guest pulled up. Navali has had several near bite incidents with one resulting in a sheriff visit and all involved an unannounced guest where my friend was not prepared with her dog.

She has learned from each incident and done great to avoid ongoing risks the best she can... but this afternoon another mutual friend (who is well aware of Navali's response to unannounced guests) just shows up without warning and Navali immediately began barking and then ... being off leash ... started to charge the oncoming people who were getting out of their car.

My friend stated her "treat party" cue one time and said this to me:

"at first Navali paused and looked my way but then turned to the guests. I proceeded towards the house to get the treats as Navali turned back towards me ... Navali then made the choice to enthusiastically run after me and I gave her the whole bag!!! I couldn't believe she picked me over attacking them!"

The excitement in my friends voice that she was able to avert a potential bite brought tears to my eyes and having known Navali for 3 years and witnessing her level of reactivity I couldn't help but feel the thrill of excitement that my friend has practiced her treat party consistently and it is working for Nav!!!!

Navali is an amazing GSD who has a family committed to her success ... and this afternoon her family was reassured that the effort can bring results in an unpredictable world where others don't share the same respect for Navali's insecurities.

Please Log in to join the conversation.