Baby Steps

9 years 7 months ago #57791 by vicky o'connor
Baby Steps was created by vicky o'connor
My maniac, tugging, barking, but otherwise amazing dog (found on a reservation at 8 weeks, starving, they didn't know if she would make it) is doing well with all the hard work I have put into her, but after only two weeks in the Focus class (and I am sure the Nose work class is helping also) is actually starting to notice me, as something other than a potential tug toy!!

She is now 18 months old...and just lately I am no longer exhausted by her. I probably work with her about 4 hours a day...if you count the preparation time as well...walking, bike trotting...hours and hours.

Don't get me wrong, she is now working on Level 3 work in Sue Ailsby's Training Levels, and I have no doubt she will be a great dog...but I have gone through boxes of bandaids (but not now...now she is very aware of her teeth) and I know she is going to be a very good worker, BUT I really am certain that the Focus class is making a difference...and the Nose work class is also giving her another chance to practice focusing.

A couple of days ago we were on our walk, and she looked up at me, and asked, 'Is there something I can do for you?'

I was shocked and amazed.

So...thank you!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.