It's the little training break throughs!

9 years 8 months ago #54501 by Melissa Hays
It's the little training break throughs! was created by Melissa Hays
Kane, my reactive (almost) 2 year old pit-shepherd mix has kept me on my toes living in the city since about 6 months of age. We have done A LOT of work together, but without treats in hand, I was never able to get him to disengage on his own without a ton of micromanaging (and treats!), until NOW!

Already with BAT, I have noticed a significant difference in Kane. The other day we were doing some nose work in the park and I kind of lost myself for a second, turned around and there was a small, white dog staring directly at Kane (usually this sends him into a complete flurry of hackles raised/lunging/barking) but at that moment, he looked at the dog for a brief second or two, and moved away from the trigger, ON HIS OWN and continued with his nose work!!!

I am so excited to be doing this work with my guy -- I am just short of being 6 months pregnant, and have a second Staffie-Lab mix that is a little younger than Kane, so most people are telling me to put my feet up and relax, but I'm trying to lay a strong foundation for my family before the newest member joins us, because what's the fun in not getting a little dirty (and sweaty!) along the way?!

Good luck to all of you in this class that have a reactive dog, especially if you live in the city, it really can be a constant struggle. I hope with lots of practice my guy can eventually learn how to respond to other dogs on leash -- now off for a training session!

Please Log in to join the conversation.